The Unfinished
French Project
Unlike Ponmudi, this trip was actually planned, somewhat. I've wanted to visit Pondicherry ever since I chose it for my tenth grade project on French speaking territories. I did a pretty decent presentation and my French teacher was tres impressed especially since she didn't know there were French speaking territories in India. Still, in the back of my mind, I knew I could've had a cooler presentation if I had actually been there, experienced it and all. So you could say this was a trip ten years in the making. I was just looking for the right people to experience it with.
But it was a huge deal though. Many of you who live in the
West or metropolitan cities may not understand the significance of a short weekend
getaway like this one. Many of you who travel frequently and alone might not
understand it either. Many of you who are male will definitely not understand
it. Although if you could go back a little in time to the point before you
started travelling, when you were wary about things like money, job security, safety
etc… you could probably empathize a little.
Unlike Ponmudi, this trip was actually planned, somewhat. I've wanted to visit Pondicherry ever since I chose it for my tenth grade project on French speaking territories. I did a pretty decent presentation and my French teacher was tres impressed especially since she didn't know there were French speaking territories in India. Still, in the back of my mind, I knew I could've had a cooler presentation if I had actually been there, experienced it and all. So you could say this was a trip ten years in the making. I was just looking for the right people to experience it with.
Travel
Safety and the Rani Padminis of Tomorrow
And when the time came, what a cool distinguished lot I
got. There were four of us- two of whom are college lecturers in the subjects
of literature and photography and the other, an editor in a prominent newspaper
(er, I think that’s her designation), all respectable jobs of course. Then,
there’s me, the wannabe vagabond. We were Rani Padmini before Rani Padmini
became a thing if that makes sense? Or maybe I’m making a huge deal of nothing.
But it was a huge deal though. Many of you who live in the
West or metropolitan cities may not understand the significance of a short weekend
getaway like this one. Many of you who travel frequently and alone might not
understand it either. Many of you who are male will definitely not understand
it. Although if you could go back a little in time to the point before you
started travelling, when you were wary about things like money, job security, safety
etc… you could probably empathize a little.
See, some of us come from orthodox families where the
concept of women travelling alone is unfathomable. Some of us probably hadn’t
travelled without a chaperone ever. Some of us had parents who were afraid for
our safety and perhaps of what society would say. And some of us were probably
more scared than our parents. I mean, you could hardly blame them or us
especially with all the violent rapes happening around the country. In fact,
said parents were more comfortable with us going to Europe than traipsing
around India. Clearly, they haven’t seen Taken.
It’s all about confidence or false confidence as I
relayed to one of my tumblr sisters. I mean, if foreigners can navigate the
maze that is the Indian Railways, just how hard could it be, right?
Are
we there yet?
Sweltering heat, warm winds and an unforgiving sun are
what greeted us at Karaikal (pronounced car-reck-l) station in the morning. It
was a sharp contrast from the cool, air-conditioned bogey we had travelled in
from Ernakulam. We weren’t deterred though. Although this little district falls
under the Union Territory, we were still around 130 kms away from proper
Pondicherry. Meaning there were still three more hours to go. We had to get ourselves
to the bus station quickly and hope there were buses every fifteen minutes to
our destination like the internet claimed.
As we walked out of the railway station, we were swarmed
with super persuasive auto drivers who would love to take us to the
bus station for Rs. 100. No thanks, bro. Rs.
90. Really, not interested. Rs. 80. We’ll walk, thanks. Rs. 60, last price. And
we walked, following the locals out to the road. We asked our friendly local
vegetable vendor about how far the bus station was. She promptly said it was
nearby. She then proceeded to tell us that if we walked a little bit more we
could get a tempo and it would only cost us five rupees. Nice. And this is why you should always talk to the locals. We
offered our gratitude and headed forward in search of this tempo.
The tempo turned out to be a bus and not the lorry I had
imagined in my mind. (Of course, those things only happen in movies.) The bus
station was really close like she said and there were actually buses to Puducherry like the internet said. Everything
seemed to be working out.
Forty minutes into the journey, we were dying. It was so
hot. That’s what happens when you decide to travel during one of the hottest
months of the year. Sure, there are a lot of advantages to travelling off
season, but then there are the disadvantages like this. I’m pretty sure I was
delirious because of the heat and because we hadn’t stopped for lunch. We had
immediately boarded, not wanting to waste time waiting for another bus and besides,
the bus driver said they’d stop along the way.
He did, two hours in. We halted near this humble roadside
eatery, the dust clearly settling on the food. Maybe that’s secret ingredient?
Only two of us braved the food. Those daredevils. The other two settled for
fruits.
Another half an hour in and nous sommes arrives at our hotel... after ha ggling with the auto drivers at the bus station that is. It's like they can tell you're an outsider.
Another half an hour in and nous sommes arrives at our hotel... after ha


interesting read!!!
ReplyDeletewe travelled from rameshwaram to pondicherry on a overnight bus and my in-laws had the most harrowing time...as my ma in law could not get down to pee as the bus driver as not willing to stop!!!
it was as hilarious as bad!!! I can't stop laughing thinking about it..though it wasn't at all funny when it happened!!
www.myunfinishedlife.com
Oh, man! Bathroom breaks... now that I think about it, we were quite lucky that we didn't have to go! I mean, that rest stop probably only had open air bathrooms.
DeleteLuckily we went by car! BTW..I'm jealous of u dear Ranipadminis..I too wanted to come with u people!! Hmm..may be another time..when my kid is a lil' big enough to manage things by his own! :D
ReplyDeleteWished you were there as well, J! It would've been awesome. Don't worry, we have time! We'll hit the north when the kids is bigger!
DeleteHaha a clueless group? Like the casual way you've described the journey. But I thought it'd be about the whole journey. Where's the rest of it?
ReplyDeletework-in-progress :)
DeleteAnd the titles too. Love that
ReplyDeletethanks!
Deleteoh.. i was starting to delve in.. when it stopped! :D
ReplyDeleteMore please :)
:)
DeleteHey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.
ReplyDeleteVery informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.
ReplyDelete